Search This Blog

Thursday 2 June 2011

Gypsy Pistolero / Duende - Last of the Pistoleros

Buff padded envelope.
No return address.
No letter.
One CDr with Gypsy Pistolero - (Duende) Last of the Pistoleros written on it.
Hmmmmmmm. A mystery.
Time for the deerstalker to be donned and a little google search to be done I suppose.
Let no man, or woman, say that Itsaxxxxthing blog doesn't make the effort.
Okay so lets jump forward to Sam Spade styled stuff and spill the skinny on this.
It turns out that the Gypsy Pistoleros were a UK based flamenco inspired bunch of glam rockers who released a couple of albums and Eps that were pretty much well received, even though the name doesn't ring any bells for me.
Now that the band have bitten the dust the lead singer. Lee Pistolero has apparently brushed off the older tracks and made a return to the public eye with this album.
It would be easy to say that he is coasting on past glories, but as I've never heard anything previous to this I'm not really in a position to claim that.
All I can say is that this certainly doesn't sound like anything that is coming out of the UK.
Some of it sounds like Motley Crue being covered by a bunch of Mariachi's, but that aint a bad thing, although I will admit that it's not a concept that sounds that great written down.
This is one of those situations where you have to hear it to get it.
Amongst the good, the bad, and the mascara'd there's a nice little cover of Stand and Deliver, the old Adam and the Antz hit, and in amongst all the spaghetti western themed madness it sort of fits like a hand in a leather star spangled glove.
Pretty groovy stuff.
Over all it's an album that likes to wrong foot you.
Every preconceived idea of what it is going to sound like is challenged, and I get the impression that while Lee Pistolero is serious about what he is doing he also knows that it wouldn't work without an injection of a healthy dose of tongue in cheek humour.
As the glam rock scene lies in the gutter dreaming of the good times of yesteryear this shouldn't have many problems in floating to the top to prove that there's life in the dirty old dog yet.
So to whoever sent me this. Thanks amigo. It has been a nice surprise.

4 comments:

  1. Only want to say how much I like the blog man.
    Its cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carlos. It's appreciated.
    In recent weeks the hits have went through the roof.
    I might even manage 3000 a day soon.
    I personally don't think I'm doing anything different from before, or form anyone else, but maybe people are posting links to specific updates and then others are hanging around and working their way back through older posts and that's the reason for the increased traffic.
    It's a nice feeling though and I appreciate that people are dropping by.
    It starts giving you grand ideas. Like how many hits would it get if everyone reading a post linked to it on their facebook page, or any other social networking site for that matter.
    In the last few days I've been asked if I want to contribte to a US magazine and a UK fanzine so that's gave me a warm and fuzzy gloow to it.
    I'm also thinking about getting some t-shirts made to, but I'll hang off on that and see if the hits stay at the level they are at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck O'Norris9 June 2011 at 10:57

    I seen these guys a few years ago and they were a breath of fresh air. A real live glam band with a punk attitude. Nothing like the hair metal bands that I loathe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are currently on tour with LA Guns in the UK. I'm going to try and get along to the Glasgow date.

    ReplyDelete