Search This Blog

Sunday 4 November 2012

Sam Doores, Riley Downing and the Tumbleweeds – Holy Cross Blues


I have no idea what authentic means. Well that's not strictly true. Of course I know what it means, but what I'm really getting at is that when people bandy the term about I don't really get what 'they' mean.

If it's the fifties and an artist uses the technology and instruments available to him or her to record a handful of songs, then why is that strictly authentic while someone doing likewise in the present using the same technology and such, is described as 'sounding' authentic?
If it's the same process, the same approach and the same final outcome, then what is there to hang your hat on to claim a difference?
Maybe it's a pedantic point, but also maybe worth mentioning as this takes me to the debut album from Sam Doores, Riley Downing and the Tumbleweeds, a release that can't seem to shake the 'sounding authentic' tag.
I've got news for people.
It sounds authentic because it is.
Between them the band stir a pot pourri of influences and embrace their love for country, the blues and American folk music as each floats to the surface.
There's something quite magical about it all.
I can never really describe what the attraction to me is when people get together and make music that I feel this comfortable with.
I've used the term aural alchemy before, and that's exactly what I hear.
Individual musicians taking a little bit of this and a little bit of that and weaving gold out of it.
This doesn't so much sound as if it is from another time, but more so from outside time.
When music is played so well, and with this amount of heartfelt passion, then it really does transcend when it was recorded, and this is an album that does that with a great deal of aplomb.
I sincerely do hope that Sam Doores does manage to get back to the UK in 2013 with the rest of his band mates by his side this time.
If they do I'll be front and centre to experience this in all its glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment