Search This Blog

Friday 18 February 2011

Kid British - Northern Stories

Kid British – Northern Stories.
Kid British are back. A new album is in the can and as a thank you to the fans they have released a downloadable ep for free that features four demo tracks that will act as a taster for what is to come.
Now I'll admit to not being overly impressed before, but after my son raved about them post Specials support slot I thought I would redress my casual lending of an ear to them and see if I was maybe missing out on a good band by not really paying enough attention to them.
This resulted in a grudging acceptance that they had something, but in the studio they weren't really doing enough to grab me with their ska tinged attempt at grabbing a slice of the NME reading generation pie.
Now here we are and I've listened to their new ep back to back twice in a row and I'm not finding much wrong with this at all.
On the evidence here they seem to have went for a more traditional ska/light dub sound paired with some socially conscious lyrics that promises to shake things up a bit.
It's actually been a while since we had a band who could raise the profile of ska and with any luck these will be the lads to do it.
Nicely intimate and thought provoking at the same time. Well worth a punt, especially for free.
http://www.kidbritish.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment